Understanding the role of a Careers Leader
Careers Leaders are responsible for the planning, development, and delivery of the schools’ careers programme. Their role is to ensure that:
- The school implements a good careers programme that meets the expectations of the Gatsby Benchmark framework.
- The school provides the details of its careers programme and arrangements for technical training providers on their website.
- The school tracks the progress of their students through their education journey, to improve the effectiveness of the school’s careers programme.
Careers Leader Handbook
If you are unsure of where to start, the careers leader handbook can help you to understand the role and responsibilities of a careers leader.
Careers Strategy – The strategy sets out the plan for building a high-quality careers system to help young people choose career opportunities that are right for them. The aim of the strategy is to ensure that all young people get an excellent programme of advice and guidance, based upon their own needs.
- Careers Strategy – This is the vision, aims, and objectives of a school or college’s careers provision.
- Careers Programme – This is the record of careers activities and events that will take place across the academic year.
- Careers Policy – Many schools and colleges choose to embed their strategy and programme into one policy documents. This becomes a concise and accessible statement of the guiding principles which underpin the approach to careers learning and development.
Careers Leader Training
The fully funded training courses provide a huge opportunity for you as a Careers Leader to accelerate your school, special school or college towards achieving the Gatsby Benchmarks.
Careers Leaders Events
Throughout the academic year we invite careers leaders to join termly network events that provide an opportunity to engage with other careers professionals and employers from our region. These events provide key careers updates and are a fantastic opportunity to share best practice with other careers leaders.
CEC Resource Directory
There are a wealth of resources and free guidance available through the Careers and Enterprise Company’s resource directory.
Our team of dedicated and passionate Enterprise Coordinators support schools and colleges to plan, develop and implement meaningful careers provision within their institution.
Our Careers Hub provides a community of practice for schools and colleges in the Solent region.
Our team is here to support careers leaders and teachers with the careers provision within their school or college. The work we do helps schools and colleges meet the Gatsby Benchmark framework for good careers guidance.